We have a son!!
Tennyson was due on April 22nd, but as you could see in our previous posts, he wasn’t coming. So on Wednesday April 28th, we had an induction scheduled.
Mike and I arrived at the hospital at 5:00am. It was very early, but we were really excited to meet Tennyson, so we didn’t really care. We got to the hospital and checked into our room and I got changed into my gown and then we filled out about an hour’s worth of paper work.
Sometime around 6:30 in the morning they started the pitocin drip to get my contractions started. As they upped the pitocin, though, Tennyson got more and more distressed. Every time I had a contraction, his heart rate would drop. This obviously is not a good thing so they stopped the pitocin for a bit to let him rest. When they restarted the pitocin, they got the same results, so we decided it was C-section time. Mike and I were expecting that I’d end up with a C-section, but we weren’t expecting it so early in the morning. It took us a bit to wrap our heads around the idea that we’d get to meet Tennyson so fast! It was very exciting!
Mike changed into his scrubs and I went in to get my spinal (which wasn’t a very enjoyable experience). Then they brought Mike in the room and it was meeting baby time! They struggled a bit getting Tennyson out because he was so high up. It was a strange sensation because they’d pull and I could breathe, and then Tennyson would float back up and I couldn’t breathe again.
Tennyson was born at 9:48 in the morning. He was perfect! He weighed 7 pounds and 2 ounces and 20.5 inches long. We couldn’t believe it when we saw that his weight was so normal! We were expecting a giant! While I was being stitched up, they brought Tennyson to the nursery to clean him up and Mike and the grandmas got to go see him. Here is a picture of our little boy, less than an hour old!
Tennyson wasn’t a huge fan of his first bath. But he sure looked nice after. And he smelled good too.
Here is one of our favorite pictures. Tennyson is just over an hour old here and this was the first time I got to hold him. It is so strange to think that this little guy is ours! He has the most alert eyes. He loves to just look around the room at everyone and everything!
Tennyson loves his daddy. If he’s fussy, all Mike has to do is pick him up and immediately Tennyson will quiet down.
It is crazy how much Tennyson already has a mind of his own. He pretty much tells us what he wants and when he wants it. Once he was feeding and just decided he was done so he pushed us away and threw his head back and fell asleep like this.
Recovery was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. By Thursday afternoon I was up and walking around on my own. The nurses kept worrying that I was hurting myself, but the pain wasn’t bad at all. One nurse even thought she had the wrong patient because there was no way that I could be her C-section!
Tennyson sure is loved! He had a ton of visitors while he was in the hospital…
We love Tennyson to death. We couldn’t be happier to finally have him here with us!
He's just as cute as I thought he would be! Good Job you two!! Congrats.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! He's so adorable!
ReplyDelete