It was over 90 degrees here in Lansing today. And humid.
So we visited the community splash pad. Basically a splash pad is just a bunch of huge water towers that kids can run around and play in.
We set off onto the trailhead we usually start at to get to the county park. The park is about half a mile from the trailhead and it saves us the entrance fee if we start there instead of at the park.
I almost didn’t go into the splash pad because it looked awfully crowded and intimidating. I really wasn’t sure how Tennyson would do with so many people because he’s still little and fragile and baby-ish. Boy, was I wrong. The crowd didn’t faze him one bit. He didn’t even come close to being trampled. I think I’m in denial that I have a kid and not a baby.
At first, the water made him nervous and he wouldn’t do anything without one hand clinging to me.
After he felt a bit more comfortable, he plopped down and just played sitting for a while.
I took quite a few pictures and then put away the camera because I figured that was as good as it was going to get.
Boy, was I wrong. After he had been sitting for a bit, I picked him up to show him another fountain. When I put him down, he ran off. Suddenly, he could have cared less how close to him I was. The only thing he needed me for was to get him back onto his feet when he fell down. If he tripped, he’d stick his arm behind him signaling me to grab on and pull him up. Then he’d run off again toward some other fountain that looked cool.
We really had so much fun! I can guarantee we’ll be going back to this place multiple times this summer.
All that running around and splashing in the water wore him out. I think it took all the strength he had in him not to fall asleep on the walk back to our car (which was supposed to be a run back to our car, but it was way too hot and I had already been outside for almost an hour. Lesson learned. Run first, splash after.)
No comments:
Post a Comment