June 26, 2012

giraffe

meet giraffe.


he's one of the animals tennyson goes to bed with every night. 
he's been a part of the nighttime crew since tennyson first started sleeping alone in his crib.

he's a pretty cool thing.
you wind him up and he plays music and his head dances around in a circle.

only, tennyson's giraffe doesn't do that anymore.
he broke his neck.

this was a devastating injury to our family.
as you all know, a broken neck will paralyze a person.
turns out, it paralyzes giraffes, too, and he would no longer play music.

luckily, mike and i are pretty good at surgery on stuffed animals.
but giraffe was left with a few battle scars.


and now, a few months have passed since surgery.
our sutures aren't holding as well as we'd have hoped.
his stuffing is starting to come out.


but he is still loved.

i tried to replace giraffe the other day with a newer model.
tennyson wouldn't have it.
he sat there hugging giraffe for a while after.

looks like giraffe will be with us for a long time.
injured or not, he is loved.

1 comment:

  1. The fact that you actually performed surgery is the best thing I've ever heard. I found a friend who has the same dishtowel as Carly's beloved towel and I'm having her send it to me before hers falls apart. The things we do for our kids . . . Oh, and I had a bear you got burned on the stove top when I was a kid, and my mom put actual bandaids on him. It held for years. You could see if that works for Giraffe :)

    ReplyDelete