We’ve been having a lot of speech therapy fun here in the Fiske house. I know a lot of you have been curious about what this entails and how he’s doing, so I’ll give an update.
We have only seen Tennyson’s therapist once officially, but she gave us a list of things a mile long to work on between visits and we’ve been working hard.
First, sign language. Second, not guessing what he needs.
The first is a mixed bag for me. He currently can sign “more”, “eat”, “drink”, “help”, “all done” and “bubbles”. So on one hand, I’m thrilled to be communicating with Tennyson more. I’m thrilled that he is picking up on signing incredibly fast (even faster than our therapist expected). It only takes him a day or two to pick up a new sign. But on the other hand, his vocabulary is very limited. All I get all day long is “bep” (which is what he says when he signs help). “Bep!” “Bep!” “Bep!” And then I have to figure out what he needs help with. Which is fun in the morning and by the afternoon I’m absolutely sick of being dragged around listening to “Bep!” I have to constantly remind myself how happy I am that he can communicate now. Even if it drives me nuts.
The second part is leading to a lot of tantruming here in the Fiske house. Turns out Tennyson is pretty used to getting everything handed to him. We are trying to do better. After a minute or two of screaming and fussing, we can usually get him to do some sort of sign that will tell us what he needs. And, yes, usually that is just “Bep!” And, yes, by the end of the day I’m usually weak and just hand him his food/sippy/ipod before he asks. I’m only human. I can only listen to so many fits a day.
So that’s all the progress we’ve made so far. It’s actually a lot. He’s picking up sign language a lot faster than we ever expected. He’s starting to have what could almost qualify as conversations with us. And he’s starting to want to talk more. Progress.
yay! this makes me happy happy! sounds like you guys are doing a good job. keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you have heard of a set of movies called "Signing Time" by Rachel Coleman. We used them with my son and he LOVED them. He learned so many signs and loved watching the movies (That way he gets what he wants while you can still be teaching him) They also have an app for your iphone. Totally worth the 5 bucks. Akoy goes crazy over it. Our local library has all of the movies so we would just check them out instead of buying them.
ReplyDeleteI'm totally with you on the food/iphone/juice and giving in to what they want. I do it all the time. I need to be better.